Friday, August 13, 2010

Only in Nigeria… Gombe travels part 2

Sunday morning I was ready when Jay arrived, I grabbed my gear, checked out and walked to his truck. As Jay turned the key… nothing! Not a whimper, not a click, nada! He got out and fiddled with the battery cables, still nothing.

We seized on the slight incline of the driveway and attempted to push start the truck… nope. We even had another hotel guest try to jump us with Jay's jumper cables… even that failed.

So now on plan C or D we walked out to the street in front of the hotel and hoped for a 'taxi' (a chabba) which in Nigeria is a guy on a motorcycle who takes passengers. I have seen a family of 4 plus the driver on one bike! The funniest thing I have seen is a tie… it is between the driver and passenger balancing and holding a queen-size mattress on their heads as they drive down the road or the driver and passenger balancing and holding a 3-person couch on their heads! No lie!!!

I digress, in moments a chabba arrived and Jay explained where I needed to go we shook hands and off we sped (this bike at least had power) chabba driver in front with me dressed in a suit and tie with Bible in hand seated behind. Fortunately, Jay held on to my suitcase for me.

I even arrived at church on time, a little dirtier than I expected but safe and sound… thank you Lord!

No comments: