Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A trash mentality

I still cannot get used to the just-toss-your-trash-on-the-ground mentality I see all around me here in Jos. A student opens a package of crackers to munch on during break and when he finishes he tosses the wrapper out the class window. Another does the same with an empty plastic water bag. I don't get it.

The classic occurred when they installed a satellite dish at the guesthouse where I am staying. Workers left the cardboard carton, packaging and various sundry papers and pieces of wire strewn across the guesthouse front yard. It rained that night soaking everything. I was flabbergast that they considered their job completed with all this trash lying everywhere. It was the toss-your-trash-on-the-ground mentality on steroids! I see it everywhere I go in and around Jos.

There are few refuse bins and I have seen no garbage trucks to collect trash. If trash is disposed of, it is by creating piles and burning it… the acidic smoke burns the eyes… cough, cough, cough!

To the Seminary's credit, they have refuse bins placed around campus and someone came by the following day to pick up the trash left by the satellite-dish installers. And on the local TV the other night there has a big story that Lagos has purchased a number large garbage collection trucks to deal with the refuse issue in the city…  maybe the mentality is changing?! I surely hope so.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As I rode my bike last night, I caught a few glimpses of trash here in OG. I am always surprised also that people can litter like that. I can't imagine the difference there if everyone does it.It doesn't take that much effort, but if you are never trained by your parents and that is the way they live, what a pity.